· Habilitation – May 2000, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland. Habilitation Thesis- Northern Peri-Tethys evolution in Triassic times.
· Doctor of Geology– 1984. Ph.D. completed in the Polish Academy of Sciences. Carbonate Sedimentology. Ph.D. Thesis - "Sedimentation of Quaternary travertines in Southern Poland".
· Master of Sciences (1) - Geology - 1980, Jagiellonian University, Sedimentology - "Calcareous tufa of the Cracow Upland".
· Master of Sciences (2) - Geography (climatology) - 1977, Jagiellonian University, "Influence of small and medium-size lakes on local climatological conditions - an example of the Bagry lake, Cracow".
· Professor at the Inst. of Geol. Sciences, Jagiellonian University, 2009- present.
· Guest Professor at the Inst. of Paleont. & Geology, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 2002.
· Assistant Professor at the Inst. of Geol. Sciences, Jagiellonian University, 1984-2009.
· Student of the Graduate College of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 1980-1983.
· Carbonate and Evaporite Sedimentology
· Geological Mapping
· Photogeology and Remote Sensing
· Geological Mapping
· Dynamic Geology
· Geological Mapping
· Tutorial of 24 M.Sc. Thesis and 2 Ph.D. Thesis in geology
· 1989 - 1990. Research stay at the University of Wisconsin (5 months).
· 1990. Visiting lecturer in the University of Wisconsin, Madison and the Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas.
· 1991. Visiting lecturer in the Institute of Karst Geology, Guilin, China.
· 1985 - 1995. Multiple research stays and visiting lecturer in the University of Bordeaux III, France.
· 1993 - 1995. Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany. Project : "Evolution of the Triassic Basins of the Germanic and Alpine domains. Comparative study". Inst. of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Heidelberg. Host: Prof. T. Bechstädt.
· 1995 - 1997. National Scientific Committe Grant for study on: "Paleoenvironmental records from the cave calcite speleothems, Central Europe".
· 1994 - 1998. Research Grant by the Oil Companies, Paris, France (AGIP, ARCO, BRGM, CHEVRON, CONOCO, EXXON, SHELL, TOTAL) for the international project on the PERI-TETHYS PALEOGEOGRAPHICAL ATLAS.
· 2000. Grant of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany. Project: „Climatically and tectonically controlled changes of sedimentary processes within the Western Tethys domain during Ladinian-Norian times and their driven mechanisms". Inst. of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Heidelberg. Host: Prof. T. Bechstädt.
· 1999-2003. National Scientific Committe Grant for study on: „Paleoclimatic and tectonic controls of origin of the Norian Wozniki Limestone, Upper Silesia".
· 2002 (Summer semester) – Guest Professor in the Inst. of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Heidelberg. Courses taught: Mapping and Carbonate Sedimentology, Field Exercises-Sardinia, Regional Geological Excursion – Central Europe.
· 2002 (Winter semester) – Guest Professor in the Inst. of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Heidelberg. Courses taught: Lacustrine Sedimentology (for Graduate College).
Special meeting organized:
· 2000 - Symposium Co-convenor; Climate Changes, The Karst Records, 2nd International Meeting, Cracow
· 1998 - Symposium Co-convenor, Epicontinetal Triassic, 2nd International Meeting, Halle, Germany
· 1997 - Symposium Co-convenor, IAS European Meeting, Heidelberg, Germany
· 1997 - Chairman of the 3rd Symposium of International Fossil Algae Association, Cracow, Poland
· 1990 - Meeting organizer: IAS Workshop Meeting-The Muschelkalk-Sedimentary Environments and Diagenesis, Cracow-Opole, 1990
· 1987 - Meeting Co-organizer, IAS European Meeting, Cracow, Poland
· 1982 – K. Beres Award presented by the Polish Geological Society for young natural scientists
· 2000 – L. Zejszner Award presented by the Polish Geological Society for the outstanding Polish geological paper
Professional organization memberships:
· Polish Geological Society – since 1978
· International Association of Sedimentologists - since 1987
Memeber and Polish correspondent in the International Geological Correlation Programmes (IGCP – UNESCO/IUGS):
· 2001 - 2005: 467 Project – Triassic Time and trans-Panthalassan Correlations
· 1997 - 2000: 380 Project - Biosedimentology of Microbial Buildups
· 1989 - 1997: 215 Project - Lakes in Space and Time
· 1992 - 1996: 301 Project - Karst Geology and Hydrology
Languages: English, German, French, Polish, Czech, Slovakian, Russsian
Outline of the main scientific interests, achievements and planned research projects
My hitherto carried scientific activity aimed mostly on problems related to carbonate sedimentary processes and their tectonic, environmental, geochemical and biological controls. The studies encompassed broad spectrum of sedimentary environments, from subterranean milieu to open marine basins and concerned sediments of different ages – from Early Permian to recent ones. In last few years I have become particularly interested in three research fields:
1. Triassic evolution of sedimentary basins of the Western Tethys domain.
2. Paleoclimatic reconstructions by means of sedimentological and geochemical methods.
3. Paleoseismicity phenomena and their records in carbonate sediments.
Among the main achievements of my studies one may mention:
· Quantitative reconstruction of Holocene climate changes in Central Europe by means of stable isotopes study from calcareous tufa and speleothems.
· Paleoclimatic inferences for the Western Tethys area and validation of the volcanic controls on the climate changes in the Western Tethys during Ladinian-Carnian times.
· Reconstruction of the Ladinian - Carnian evolution of the of Germanic and Alpine basins in terms of the post-hercynian reorganisation of the Western Tethys area.
· Reconstruction of faunal migration and evolution in terms of the tectono-eustatically-controlled sea level changes in the Western Tethys domain in Middle Triassic times.
· Recognition of the quake-generated sedimentary and deformational structures in continental and marine carbonate sediments.
· Application of the seismically-induced fabrics to reconstruction of the paleotectonic activities.
Srodon, J . Szulc, J. Anczkiewicz, A,. Jewuła, K., Banas, M. & Marynowski, L. 2014. Weathering, sedimentary and diagenetic controls of mineral and geochemical characteristics of the vertebrate-bearing Silesian Keuper. Clay Minerals. 49: 569–594
Szulc, J., Racki, G. & Jewuła, K. 2015. Key aspects of the stratigraphy of the Upper Silesian Middle Keuper, Southern Poland. Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae. 85: 557-586
Szulc, J., Racki, G., Jewuła, K. & Środoń, A. 2015. How many Upper Triassic bone-bearing levels are there in Upper Silesia (Southern Poland)? A critical overview of stratigraphy and facies. Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae. 85: 587-626
Fijałkowska-Mader, A., Heunisch, C. & Szulc, J., 2015. Palynostratigraphy and palynofacies of the Upper Silesian Keuper (southern Poland). Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae, 85: 637–661.
Nawrocki, J., Jewuła, K., Stachowska, A. & Szulc, J., 2015. Magnetic polarity of Upper Triassic sediments of the Germanic Basin in Poland. Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae, 85: 663–674.